Monday 4 December 2023

Astra

 You saw the excitement in my face as we kept moving north. Through the car window I basked in the beauty of the landscape. Great white plains laid before me broken by sparse wooded areas covered in snow. Small snow flakes coming down from cloudy skies fill in the gaps of a stereotypical Christmas postcard. 

"What's a hot blooded man in a cold environment going to feel like?" was a question that came to mind while we silently drove in direction of your hometown. That made me laugh and I asked myself if I was prepared for what was coming. The snow was really the least of my concerns. It was your whole backstory and all that came with it that created these questions inside.

Later, in the evening, after our arrival we went for a walk through the covered fields while you took my hand and showed me where and how your childhood was spent, where your roots belonged and where I would fit in all of this. 

Looking back now, this was more than 10 years ago but whenever I see snow I cannot help but smile and think about fjords, your blue eyes and how dumb our jokes were and how they fueled our day to day lives. "I was happy once" I said to myself with a slight smirk and went back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trust

 Sometimes there's choices in our path that require sacrifice, sheer willpower and resolve. I have learnt that lesson through you and th...